Definition - Service to others really matters
Service To Others Really Matters Company (STORM Co) is a a radical approach to service and mission.
It crosses all boundaries in its approach, taking the very simple philosophy, “if you see a need then endeavour to fill it.” It is an adventure based, short term mission program. Its philosophy is to serve with no expectation, to build friendships within a community as a whole and to encourage Christians within those communites. STORM Co teams are trained for the service they undertake, namely entering a community, asking for or seeing a need, and through hard work and dedication, meeting those needs. Team members volunteer their own time and finance; they commit to strict discipline and hard work. Their goal is to live out the legacy of service modelled by Jesus Christ.
“Those of us who are strong and able in the faith need to step in and lend a hand to those who falter, and not just do what is most convenient for us. Strength is for service, not status. Each one of us needs to look after the good of the people around us, asking ourselves, “How can I help?” That’s exactly what Jesus did.
He didn’t make it easy for himself by avoiding people’s troubles, but waded right in and helped out. “I took on the troubles of the world,” is the way the Scripture puts it.
(Romans 15:1-3, Message Bible)
STORM Co is an initiative of the South Pacific Division of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
The STORM Co mission is to send teams of trained young people to work for, learn from, and encourage individual communities; sharing God’s love, by building bridges to all people in an adventure in service to others.
The fulfilment of the mission statement is based on five foundations. Each foundation statement expresses a characteristic of a Storm Co team that is essential to a Storm Co mission trip.
- No Agenda – STORM Co teams enter a community with the express purpose of building a relationship with that community. This is accomplished through pre-trip contact negotiation with the community so that each trip is an adventure in using the resources of the team to meet the unique needs of the community they enter
- No Expectations – STORM Co teams enter a community with a commitment to serve. They go to work for and learn from a community without expectation in terms of monetary or evangelistic compensation.
- No Walls – STORM Co teams are committed to support and encourage Christianity within the community above denominational barriers. Team members are trained and encouraged to present a personal testimony of their relationship with God.
- No Limits – STORM Co teams determine to remain involved in a consistent relationship with the community. Their goal is to maintain relational bridges and to be an ongoing positive influence in the community
- No Fear – STORM Co teams are developed through worship. In prayer. Praise and Worship. StormCo teams do battle for their God in the community. Team members return home with a responsibility to contribute their experience to the local church
Interested in joining (or leading) a StormCo trip?
Contact Anita on 07 3218 7777 or email email@example.com for more information.