"I will speak of the glorious honour of thy majesty, and of thy wondrous works." - Psalm 145:5
Adventist Outdoors (AO) is the peak body of the Seventh-day Adventist Church for the Outdoor activities that the church is involved in. It is a member of the Outdoor Council of Australia (OCA) and promotes the nationally recognized way of operating in the outdoors safely. The training of volunteer leaders has been aligned with the curriculum recognized by the National Outdoor Leader Registration Scheme (NOLRS) and all of its training is Competency Based.
Adventist Outdoors – South Queensland (AO SQ) is the peak body for all of the outdoor activities undertaken in this conference. It is a member of the state peak outdoor body The Outdoor Recreation Council of Australia (ORIC) It is responsible for:
- Promoting safe outdoor practices
- Training leaders
- Developing activity skills
- Encouraging participation in outdoor activities
ADVENTURE ACTIVITY STANDARDS (AAS)
Adventure Activity Standards (AAS) are minimum, voluntary guidelines for organisations conducting outdoor recreation activities where the participants are dependent on the activity provider.
For further information and to view a list of activities that have AAS here in QLD click here.
• AO SQ can help you with leaders who understand these minimum standards.
• It is important as an organisation that we are adhering to recognised standards within the outdoor sector.
• In the event of misadventure people ask what would a person who knows what they are doing have done with that activity and group?
DOING AN OUTDOOR ACTIVITY?
- Ask for access to http://sqsdasafety.org.au (Safety Management Website) from your local church safety coordinator or pastor.
- Click on Find a Document, Then click on Forms & download & complete the Local Church Permission to Proceed High Risk Events form.
- Submit form to your local church safety coordinator or pastor.
- Wait for permission to proceed.
For additional instructions on how to plan your outdoor activity, log into the Safety Management website, click on Find a Document, Click on Guidelines & download Forms that Leaders Need to Complete.
NEED OUTDOOR STAFF?
AO SQ maintains an Outdoor Leaders Register. These leaders have the appropriate qualifications for various outdoor activities that are undertaken by our churches.
- Have the appropriate qualifications
- Have been checked out by AO SQ as to their suitability to lead groups in their respective areas
- Are all volunteers
HOW DO I BOOK ONE FOR MY EVENT?
You may not need an Outdoor Leader for your event because of the skills someone in your group may already have. To verify this you can contact AO SQ for further advice on 07 3218 7777 or [email protected]
If you need to book an Outdoor Leader please book well in Advance of your date by calling Sherilee Waring on 07 3218 7777 or by Emailing [email protected]
We will then see what Outdoor Leaders may be available for your booking.